Head of LegalApply now
Signifyd leads the world in bringing the insights, innovation and compassion required to foster fearless commerce in a time of increasing digital threats. Working with some of the industry’s most recognizable retailers and brands, we are focused on using technology to enhance customer lifetime value and protect enterprises from fraud so they can focus on growing their business.
We process billions in ecommerce transactions annually through our Commerce Network of thousands of merchants selling in more than 100 countries. We focus every day on harnessing machine learning and artificial intelligence in more powerful ways to maximize our customers’ revenue and their security. None of that happens without the right people.
Our team’s strength is in its diversity and its acceptance of new ideas and new ways to look at old challenges. We are dedicated disruptors designing a new world of commerce at scale. We know humans are not one-dimensional and we celebrate the uniqueness each individual brings to the problems we solve and the culture we create.
As Head of Legal at Signifyd, you work on some of the most exciting and novel questions at the nexus of machine learning models, consumer privacy, fintech, and Signifyd’s disruptive, liability-shifting business model as we scale. You are excited to help scale legal and compliance processes for internal operations on four continents and externally with customers and data subjects in 100 countries. You can inspire a vision for big picture strategies while rolling up your sleeves in leading a small team of attorneys and paraprofessionals to execute day-to-day operational goals with great attention to detail. You desire to be the leader of Signifyd’s legal team, setting strategy, overseeing and navigating key deals and relationships, and serving as a partner to the rest of the company. You are empathetic–ready to partner with Signifyers from all departments in company-wide initiatives while interfacing directly with our most supportive (and most difficult) customers. You are a legal generalist, with a deep understanding of corporate, employment, intellectual property and privacy laws, with a keen business and professional sense of when to seek external counsel. You proactively assess legal risks and advise on products that will not only move retail, payments, customer service and fraud prevention into the 21st century, but move international information law forward as well.
- Lead, manage, mentor and grow a high-performing legal and compliance team that aligns with the needs of a rapidly growing, global organization.
- Oversee Signifyd’s legal strategy for a wide variety of product, regulatory, and commercial opportunities.
- Advise Signifyd’s product, sales, customer success, and other cross functional teams, especially on when to take risks, how to mitigate them, and when to avoid them. Bring a deep experience and product knowledge to bear to give appropriate recommendations based on the context.
- Interface with Signifyd’s key partners (including customers, partners, financial institutions, and regulators) to advise on regulatory and privacy-related issues. Collaborate with Signifyd’s compliance, product and strategy teams to help scale and manage our policy and regulatory relationships.
- Review and manage workstreams, including negotiations and attorney mentorship, for commercial, intellectual property, and vendor agreements.
- Liaise with and maintain efficient outside counsel relationships, including budgeting.
- Maintain Signifyd’s legal documents and corporate records, including create new entities and manage Signifyd’s intellectual property.
- Coordinate Signifyd’s litigation strategy and statutory filings.
- Other duties as necessary to support Signifyd’s rapid growth.
- Proven experience leading legal and operational teams in high-growth environments. A strong track record of positive outcomes for those you have hired and managed in the past.
- JD degree and admitted to the bar and in good standing in at least one US state.
- 7 years of relevant legal experience, ideally gained at a law firm followed by senior in-house legal roles at mid- to late-stage technology companies.
- Background working in a regulated industry, and the ability to quickly learn the nuances of new regulations.
- Ability to code switch between technical, business and legal frameworks and translate between those same vocabularies and communication styles.
- 10 years of relevant work experience.
- Familiar with cloud computing, card-not-present payment stack, retail and ecommerce, professional services, and worldwide privacy laws.
- Prior in-house experience running legal, operational and compliance processes at a company filing for its Initial Public Offering, offering a late-stage secondary, and/or being acquired.
- Experience working with local stakeholders in EMEA, LATAM and APAC regions
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $215,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired into our offices in Colorado.
Loading, please wait